Samuel Sebastian Wesley - Anthems, Choir of Clare College, Cambridge [EAC-APE, covers]
 Posted: 27-08-2007, 20:31 (post 1, #774891)

Pro Member

Group: Members
Warn:0%-----
Choir of Clare College, Cambridge - Samuel Sebastian Wesley - Anthems
Артист: Choir of Clare College, Cambridge
Альбом: Samuel Sebastian Wesley - Anthems, 2007
Издатель: Naxos / 8.570318
Жанр: Classical
Формат файла: EAC / APE / CUE / LOG
Ссылка: CD
Нахождение: Torrent

Samuel Sebastian Wesley (1810 - 1876)

Anthems

Ensemble:
Choir of Clare College, Cambridge

Conductor:
Christopher Robinson

Performers:
James McVinnie - organ

Recorded in:
St. Michael's Church, Tenbury, England

Samuel Sebastian Wesley was the pre-eminent organist-composer of the early Victorian era. During his career he worked tirelessly for over forty years to raise the standard of music offered in English cathedrals, and this collection of his most popular anthems, including the exquisite Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, reflects the culmination of his achievements in this field. Unashamedly Romantic yet original in style, Wesley’s music speaks with a powerful and wholly distinctive voice.

Samuel Sebastian Wesley, son of composer Samuel Wesley and grandson of Charles Wesley, the founder of Methodism, was the preeminent composer in early Victorian England. His legacy is secure because of the continued prominence of his choral anthems in the repertoires of choirs of Protestant churches throughout the English-speaking world. This Naxos CD collects many of his most familiar anthems, performed by the Clare College Choir, Cambridge, conducted by Christopher Robinson and accompanied by organist James McVinney. The choir sings with an extraordinarily pure, sweet, and straight tone and with a refreshing naturalness. Its soloists have consistently attractive and unaffected voices; these are not international stars, but their direct and secure solos and ensembles are always a pleasure when they emerge from the choral fabric.

This is a first class tonic. The Choir of Clare College Cambridge now consists of women and includes ten sopranos. To ensure uniform vocal quality counter-tenors are combined with the (female) altos and this makes for a satisfying, full and rich sound. Traditionalists may miss the flutier and purer treble sound but I can certainly say that it didn’t concern me.
Many of these anthems are staples of the repertoire and though other recordings offer fluent and well-balanced recitals this one offers not only blended singing but also excellent solos, sensitive organ contributions and a vividly lively approach to the anthems. Ascribe unto the Lord for example is a relatively long and involved setting which can fragment when not controlled. Here it anything but fragments. Note too Wesley’s naughty Handelian borrowings; the lines "The Lord hath been mindful of us" is set to one of Handel’s Op.1 Violin Sonatas, itself probably a self-borrowing.
I mentioned the fine solo singing. There’s an example of that quality in O give thanks unto the Lord with its powerful aria-like purpose and lyric gifts. It’s invidious to mention individual choir members, because three take outstanding solos, but I shall add that the soprano here is Philippa Boyle. Don’t overlook, amidst my comments regarding Christopher Robinson’s energetic and forward-moving direction, that the choir can sing very softly and with great precision – this anthem in particular ends with a most deft example of control.
Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace is a compact and beautifully eloquent piece and receives an appropriately beautiful reading. Readers will want to know that Let us lift up our heart – that big and involving setting with an important role for baritone George Humphreys in Thou, O Lord God – reprises the same qualities of sensitivity and power that inform the entire selection. The contrast between full and women’s voices in the central section of The Wilderness is splendidly realised. In fact the performances are uniformly excellent throughout.
St Michael’s Church, Tenbury has an intimate acoustic – lines aren’t smudged or lost as they might be in a bigger and more resonant building ensuring that the setting is appropriate for these anthems. The booklet includes full texts and enjoyable notes. I’ll end as I began and call this a real tonic.

Tracklist:

01. Ascribe unto the Lord
02. O give thanks unto the Lord
03. Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace
04. Wash me throughly
05. O God, whose nature

Let us lift up our heart
06. I. Let us lift up our heart
07. II. Be not very sore, O Lord
08. III. Thou, O Lord God
09. IV. Thou Judge of quick and dead
10. V. O may we thus insure

11. Blessed be the God and Father
12. Cast me not away

The Wilderness
13. I. The wilderness and the solitary place
14. II. Say to them of a fearful heart
15. III. Then shall the lame man
16. IV. And the ransomed of the Lord
17. V. And sorrow and sighing

MORE INFO:
naxos.com
allmusic.com
barnesandnoble.com
cduniverse.com
arkivmusic.com

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

This post has been edited by kgkk on 27-08-2007, 20:35
Please take a second to encourage releaser for all his hard work, press 'Thanks' button
The following members said 'Спасибо!': vpenev, OlCh
PM
Top Bottom
 Posted: 27-08-2007, 20:36 (post 2, #774896)

Pro Member

Group: Members
Warn:0%-----
EAC extraction logfile from 7. July 2007, 11:33 for CD
Choir of Clare College, Cambridge / Samuel Sebastian Wesley - Anthems

Used drive : HL-DT-STDVDRAM GSA-4167B Adapter: 1 ID: 1
Read mode : Secure with NO C2, accurate stream, disable cache
Read offset correction : 667
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : No

Used output format : Internal WAV Routines
44.100 Hz; 16 Bit; Stereo
Use compression offset : 0

Other options :
Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : No
Installed external ASPI interface

Range status and errors
Selected range
Filename I:\NEW TORRENTS\New Folder\31\Choir of Clare College, Cambridge - Samuel Sebastian Wesley - Anthems.wav

Peak level 98.8 %
Range quality 100.0 %
CRC 9D38C67B
Copy OK

No errors occured

End of status report
PM
Top Bottom
Topic Options