> VA - Agent Du Monde Presents The Sao Paulo Connection, Lo-Fi
   Posted: 11-06-2005, 20:33 (post 1, #428640)

Group: Members
Warn:0%-----
VA - Agent Du Monde Presents The Sao Paulo Connection

user posted image

Artist........: VA
Title.........: Agent Du Monde Presents The Sao Paulo Connection
Genre.........: Lo-Fi (Chillout/Latin/Electronic)
Label.........: Union Square Music
Quality.......: VBR kbps 44,1 khz
Size..........: 215,0 MB
Tracks........: 02
Encoder.......: LAME
Source........: CDDA
Covers........: Yes[x] No[ ]
Total Length..: 148:02 min
RlsDate.......: 05/16/2004
StoreDate.....: 05/05/2004

Agent du Monde... Sunday... 5.15pm. Lobby of the Paulista Garden, Sao Paulo. Taking a breather. Final destination on the first ‘Connection’. It’s been an intense month-long assignment. Passport plastered with VISAs. Four cases of unmarked CDs. Shirt sticking to my back. Damn, it’s hot. To the bar....

...Mission has taken me to many lands with many surprises. Started by tracing the mysterious Sao Benitez. Checked my Sao Paulo contacts. Nada. Turns out he’s in Blighty, good old UK, operating a samba scam on the South coast. Like his style. He threw me an edit of his ‘Congo’ latino disco cut – exclusive – and this jam he’d cut with this jazz cat called Dewbury. Nice start. Even better, this hip label collective ‘Mr. Bongo’ were hanging out next door. Slipped me some globe-trotting disks from Chieko Kinbara and Lonesome Echo Productions, recorded in Tokyo, New York, Kingston and Chicago. Help me, Lord! Class material with the diva Liliana Chachian on vocals. La Chachian also handed me a new jam from her Da Lata combo with Baaba Maal guesting. Brazilo beats from Brighton via Mali... Viva Eclectica!

Benitez directed me North to the capital to meet prolific latino beat-meister Stephane Malca a.k.a. El Payo (another exclusive unreleased cookie!) and a sizzling Brazilian dame called Cibelle - now calls rainy London home over the sun and the sand. She has to be crazy! Crazy but super-bellissima! And, yowsah, what a voice. Handed over her own slinky version of an old Suba tune. Broke my heart and burned a hole in my pocket. She whispered, "try Mr. Bond... in Luton". Luton near London? Famous for an airport and a few car factories. But sure enough, Bond was there... Stephen Bond, also known as the mysterious Roc Hunter. He’d been jamming with some top Brazileiros for a project called Mamond. Hot like favela dust.

Agent M55C8 had tipped me on pockets of Latino action across the European tundra. He was spot on. First stop France – the mysterious Boyz From Brazil. Word has it they’re linked with those Gotan Project tanguistador cats but their material is Brazilo dancefloor dynamite, sweaty 4 x 4 currency. Stopped briefly in Belgium - picked up a moody piece from local boy Buscemi – smooth like extra-creamy Belgique chocolats. Then to the Dutch lowlands – super-sharp beats from the Zuco 103 outfit with the golden voice of Lilian Vieira. Amster-damn! Onwards to the Deutsch land, another sleeping Latino melting pot. Deep in the hinterland, those guys have been digging their jazz and latin for years. And, man, their sound cuts deep. The classy Jazzanova dudes dug out their ‘Atabaque’ cut - still hot as coals - and then sent me out to the country to the enigma called Sandboy. It was no wild goose chase. This guy is pure Teutonic techtonics - burnt off a hot remix of ‘Viver’ and I was away – plane to catch. Back to the airport - a guy with a hood throws a CD onto the seat next to me. Another mystery pseudonym? My heart lifts - I see ‘Nicola Conte’ in black marker. Nu latino mob Mo’Horizons meet the Italian jazz bossa master. Right on cue – my plane leaves for Milano any minute.

L’Italia is certainly not alI pizza, panini and operetta – the Milanese are blessed with bossa fruit. Immediately checked the Banda Favela making PURE latino swing and Italo studio wizard Riovolt hitting hard with some edginess and more vocal gold from latina goddess Lilian Vieira. Sublime. Music sharp, Chianti in my hand. I stayed awhile. I settle the bill and notice the waiter’s New York accent. As I walk away, I feel something in my pocket – a DAT tape with ‘Turntables On The Hudson’ stamped on it. Has to be the Cincinnati Kid Nickodemus... some new tracks and remixes. How did he know I was here?

So much music and I haven’t even touched Brazil! On to the Land Of The Carnival... First contact Fernanda Porto - tiny gal, big voice, la reina of Brazilian drum & bossa. Radioactive! She hooks me up with more dancefloor royalty, the shaven-headed DJ sambassadors Patife and Marky & XRS. They burn off some mouthwatering collabs – new pieces with Brazil music Gods Jair Oliveira and Gilberto Gil and a hot UK link-up with DJ Suv and the wild female MC called Tali. New generation on fire! And it ain’t all 150 bpm - I soon realise the new breed can smoulder like Astrud G. Moreno Veloso following his father Caetano with some funky new Tropicalia goodness. Mmhmm. And the new chicita called Clara Moreno covering Joyce and Jorge Ben favourites and, hold the papers, a Jamiroquai tune. Ouch! Discover a slinky spoken word piece from a smoky bossa broad called Anvil FX (not sure what she’s saying but she’s talking to me!) and I’m also introduced to ‘the Brazilian Sade’, Ms. Ive Mendes. Ive, I’ll take you "coast to coast, LA to Chicago" anytime!

Did I say Joyce? The cool bossa swing inspires me to seek out the pure Brazilista essence - guitar, voice and mood. Joyce’s fresh duet with the evergreen wizard Marcos Valle hits my bag along with a beautiful standard from original maestro Joao Donato and a sublime piece from bossa hero Celso Fonseca. Pure musical sunshine.

Can’t wait to get home and make sense of my voyage. Not much time ‘til I leave for the next mission to L’Espagna – the ‘Barcelona Files’. For now, the ice cool beer tastes like heaven...

AGENT DU MONDE

------------------------------------------------------------

- Agent Du Monde Completes First Mission: The Sao
Paulo Connection Music Super-Sleuth Agent Du Monde
Releases The First In A New Compilation Series Via
Union Square Music In April. Packed With Brazilian
Bossa Beats And Hot Samba Sauce, The Sao Paulo
Connection Features Dj Marky, Cibelle, Zuco 103,
Dj Suv, Patife And More, Including Exclusive
Tracks. Future Agent Missions Include Barcelona
And Marrakesh.

==> http://www.unionsquaremusic.co.uk

- Enjoy ! ; )

CD1:
01. Clara Moreno - When You gonna learn [4:53]
02. suba cibelle - sereia, Amor D'agua (re-make) [4:37]
03. buscemi - midnight sessions [5:29]
04. sandboy - viver (butti 49 mix) [6:53]
05. fernanda porto - de costas pro mundo [4:17]
06. banda favela - neguinho [3:43]
07. mo'horizons - foto viva (nicola conte mix) [7:01]
08. moreno veloso + 2 - arrivederci [3:24]
09. zuco 103 - treasure (gerd mix) [6:47]
10. nickodemus & osiris feat. carol c - mariposa [4:40]
11. marcos valle feat. joyce - valeu [4:44]
12. anvil fx - seja o que for [4:43]
13. ive mendes - nao vou fugir [5:10]
14. celso fonseca - sem reposta [2:38]
15. joao donato with palmyra & levita - A Aa [2:15]

CD2:
01. chieko kinbara feat. liliana chachian - a espera [6:59]
02. tom & joyce - queixume (masters at work edit) [3:46]
03. river plate samba orchestra - congo (sao benitez cut) [4:13]
04. jazzanova - atabaque [5:59]
05. mamond - preguiciman [4:46]
06. mitchell & dewbury feat. billie godfrey - beyond the rains (original 12'' mix) [4:00]
07. riovolt feat. lilian vieira - o ronco da cuica [4:29]
08. dj patife & jairzinho oliveira - grooves, ritmos, sons e vinhetas [5:16]
09. the boyz from brazil - o nosso amor [5:51]
10. lonesome echo productions feat. liliana chachian - no colo do mar [6:31]
11. el payo feat. marga nero - andar noar [7:08]
12. dj suv & dj patife feat. tali - inta outa [5:16]
13. dj marky & xrs feat. gilberto gil - dia de sol [4:14]
14. henri guedon - el ciudano y el campesino (nickodemus & osiris mix) [4:15]
15. da lata feat. baaba maal - distracted minds [3:51]

VA-Agent_Du_Monde_Presents_The_Sao_Paulo_Connection-2CD-2004-BLA.rar 4 clicks

This post has been edited by TombStone on 12-06-2005, 11:10
PM