NoMeansNo - Mama (1992), EAC-APE-CUE-LOG-HQCovers | WRONG 1CD
 Posted: 22-11-2009, 22:13 (post 1, #928517)

Group: Members
Warn:0%-----
NoMeansNo - Mama
Артист: NoMeansNo
Альбом: Mama, 1992
Издатель: Wrong Records / WRONG 1CD
Жанр: Math Rock, Happy Hardcore
Формат файла: EAC-APE-CUE-LOG-HQCovers
Ссылка: CD 14 clicks
Нахождение: eDonkey/Kademlia
Tracklist:
01. Living Is Free [4:28]
02. My Roommate Is Turning Into A Monster [4:07]
03. Red Devil [5:48]
04. Mama's Little Boy [6:01]
05. We Are The Chopped [5:25]
06. No Sex [3:48]
07. Rich Guns [3:55]
08. No Rest For The Wicked [5:11]
09. Living In Detente [3:28]
10. Try Not To Stutter [2:47]
11. I'm All Wet [2:46]
12. Approaching Zero [2:20]
13. Forget Your Life [4:55]

Originally recorded at Key Studios, Victoria, B.C. in 1982
Re-Mastered February 25, 1992 at Whipping Post Studios, Vancouver
Living In Detente recorded on a TEAC reel-to-reel 4-track in Wrights mothers basement
Tracks 10 to 13 are also home recordings, originally released as a 7" EP. The EP didn't have a title but became to be known as 'Betrayal, Fear, Anger, Hatered'

Personnel:
Rob Wright - bass, vocals, guitars
John Wright - drums, vocals, keyboards, bells, percussion and Mamas
Eric Sinclar - saxophone (12)

Perfect. Just when I finally ‘finished’ the Nomeansno-page and added a concert review, Southern Records re-release the band’s rare debut album. Initially, only five hundred copies were pressed, and then the master tapes were lost. The band then distributed it on tape mastered off a record and managed to get their hands on the tapes again, releasing it in 1992. I’ve never even seen it around though, and I swear I’ve been looking for it dozens of times in record stores all over the place (and I refuse to bid 200 dollars for an album on eBay). Oh well, I finally have it and basically I can only agree with what’s been said by several people: it’s different, it’s undeniably Nomeansno, but it’s also not very good. On some level I certainly like it, that’s because I love the band, but I’m also a man enough to admit that after about a dozen listen or so, there’s very, very little that sticks with me. It’s probably because the album’s so different than I’d expected: the 1994 compilation One Down and Two to Go contains songs that were recorded two or three years before this, and while they’re obviously the product of an inexperienced band, they were playful, energetic ditties that were funny ("Canada Is Pissed"), awkward ("Burn," with the memorable line "My mind is a Nazi, but my soul is a Jew") or both at the same time ("Pigs and Dogs"). That also goes for the early 7" inch Betrayal, Fear, Anger, Hatred (1981) they added to this CD: there’s an embryonic version of "Forget Your Life," which they’d rerecord a few years later, but also straightforward, punk-ish rock ‘n’ roll ("Try Not to Suffer," "I’m All Wet") and a piano-led pop track in the vein of the earlier "More ICBMs."
The music on Mama is far more experimental and cerebral than anything they’d done before. For the first time, their music’s completely defined by the fact they were only recording as a duo the time. Refusing to consider this a limitation, the band simply developed a unique approach to songwriting, as both bass and drums became more than just part of a rhythm section. While Rob’s alternately crawling and pounding bass lines provide the melodic part, John’s drumming is already as remarkable as it still is today, with weird accents, rumbling tom rolls and occasionally stunning velocity topping it off. This works excellently in the case of album opener "Living Is Free," which has bass playing on a par with that of Bourgeoisie’s "Can’t Stop Talking" (and already seems to announce "The End of All Things"). In this song, and a few others, the due also adds keyboards, but they basically don’t change the peculiar nature of the music. The remainder of the album, however, isn’t as successful. It’s immediately obvious these guys have talent, but the songs rarely rock, while not all of these minimalist grooves are that interesting. The sinister funk-wave of "My Roommate Is Turning into a Monster" and the fractured art-funk of "No Sex" that reminds of Gang of Four, are pretty cool, but tracks like "Red Devil" and "Mama’s Little Boy" are pummelling songs that aren’t half as interesting as the band’s later efforts. Similarly, the fast rumble of "No Rest for the Wicked" is no match for, say, "Big Dick." That said, there’s another ‘highlight’ in the guise of "Rich Guns," a ska-influenced, socio-political rant with some great drumming. Even though John’s vocals aren’t the deep, demagogue’s baritone of the later albums and the addition of guitar player Andy Kerr would turn them into a really interesting band on subsequent releases, Nomeansno’s spirit, originality and twisted lyrical concerns are already there. It’s just that some of these tracks are too self-indulgent or directionless, never gaining true momentum, making it a rather underwhelming experience. (guypetersreviews.com)

SPOILER!

Extractor: Exact Audio Copy v0.99pb3
Codec: Monkey's Audio 3.97
Compression: High Lossless
Total Time: 55:04
Ripper: SurowyTato
Please take a second to encourage releaser for all his hard work, press 'Thanks' button
The following members said 'Спасибо!': night-jar, dynamics, blade2k, Mareki
PM Email Poster
Top Bottom
Topic Options