Elisabeth Kontomanou - Waitin' For Spring (2005)
 Posted: 03-03-2009, 20:43 (post 1, #883794)

Group: Members
Warn:0%-----
Elisabeth Kontomanou - Waitin' For Spring
Артист: Elisabeth Kontomanou
Альбом: Waitin' For Spring, 2005
Издатель: nocturne / ntcd385
Жанр: vocal jazz
Формат файла: eac-flac-rar 316 mb
Ссылка: CD 19 clicks
Нахождение: eDonkey
Of Greek and African origin, singer Elisabeth Kontomanou has worked with musicians on both the European and American scenes: Leon Parker,Ari Hoenig,Jean-Michel Pilc, Michel Legrand, Mike Stern, Jon Hicks (RIP) and Alain Jean-Marie to name but a few. She first gained recognition at French ‘Concours de La Défense’ and was nominated for a Django d’Or Award in 1999. As well as performing across several continents, Elisabeth has also played at such world-renowned New York jazz venues as the Blue Note, Village Vanguard, Sweet Basil and the Knitting Factory. Not limited to purely musical endeavours, she has branched out to both musical cinema ("Masque de Lune" by Michel Legrand) and musical comedy ("Rag Time" in 2003).

Reviews:

Awarded "Best Jazz Vocalist of 2006" in France (Les Victoires du Jazz), Elisabeth reaches the peak of her art with her new album "Waitin' For Spring". Assisted by world-class players -- multi-Grammy winner John Scofield, outstanding soprano saxist Sam Newsome, brilliant French keyboarder Laurent Coq, Monk Competition winner Darryl Hall and young talent Donald Kontomanou --, she delivers vocal renditions totally fresh and yet deeply rooted in the tradition of classic jazz singing. A collection of attractive originals and indestructible standard songs -- among them Hebb's "Sunny", Distel's "Good Life", Mingus' "Duke Ellington's Sound of Love", Arlen's "I Gotta Right To Sing The Blues" and others --, this album presents a great jazz vocalist with an approach that is all her own.

"She is on her way to becoming one of the great voices of the next decades" (Rap Mag).

She is as soulful as Sarah Vaughan, as smooth and mellow as Dianne Reeves and comes equipped with a fighting spirit as passionate as Nina Simone’s. She is fire and ice, earth and water, innocent and sage.-Christopher Loudon(JazzTimes magazine).

''... cette magicienne fait résonner dans sa gorge et son cœur tous les tourments et musiques du monde. Son album paru en 2007, dernier en date, s’intitule " Back to my groove " (chez Nocturne) et confirme la plénitude d’une artiste désormais célébrée partout (New York y compris) comme une " grande ". Kontomanou laisse aujourd’hui exploser sa joie, son instinct musical et sa plénitude vocale. Son chant a des allures de fleuve tropical, puissant et généreux, et emporte tout sur son passage. Une immense chanteuse habitée par l'esprit du blues et la science du jazz.'' JL.Caradec(La Terrasse)

In addition to her impressive singing and the fresh material, some of which sounds like it could have been a standard in the '60s or '70s, Back to My Groove is of strong interest due to the instrumentation. Most selections utilize not only a rhythm section but the Quatuor Elysee String Quartet, a few horns (soprano saxophonist Sam Newsome is well featured) and a harpist. While there are some thoughtful performances, it is the more high-powered pieces, which include some challenging writing for the strings, that are of the greatest interest. Kontomanou gives one the impression that she could sing anything, making Back to My Groove a strong introduction to her music. ~ Scott Yanow, All Music Guide

"One hardly hears hard-ass, bluesy singing like this nowadays. It’s not "pretty." Elisabeth is powerful and passionate and that is the difference. This is music that comes from the gut, holds back nothing. Far from easy listening, Elisabeth will make you think about some of the deepest questions you’ve ever asked your self." "...This album has my vote for jazz album of the year."

"...this is an achievement of the highest order." -Kalamu ya Salaam

TRACKLIST
 1. Sunny
 2. Waitin' for Spring
 3. I Gotta Right To Sing The Blues
 4. The Good Life
 5. Fever
 6. Duke Ellington Sound of Love
 7. Ayanna Left New Orleans And Went To Mexico
 8. The Bird in Me
 9. I'll Never Be the Same
10. Will Love Stay in My Heart
11. We'll Be Together Again

SPOILER (EAC Log)
Please take a second to encourage releaser for all his hard work, press 'Thanks' button
The following members said 'Спасибо!': Cornwall, yury_usa, apple_il, Exiled, fiks22, Gwelgoth, borisrad, bertox, Ruditt
PM
Top Bottom
 Posted: 03-03-2009, 20:49 (post 2, #883796)

user posted image
PM
Top Bottom
 Posted: 03-03-2009, 21:19 (post 3, #883803)

frafra64
Can you scan the covers and share please..?
Cheers
PM Email Poster
Top Bottom
 Posted: 05-03-2009, 22:11 (post 4, #884153)

no
PM
Top Bottom
Topic Options