Carson Cooman - Sacred Choral Music (2008) [FLAC], London University Royal Holloway Choir, Samuel Rathbone - organ
 Posted: 16-09-2008, 22:13 (post 1, #855880)

Pro Member

Group: Members
Warn:0%-----
London University Royal Holloway Choir, Samuel Rathbone - organ - Carson Cooman - Sacred Choral Music
Артист: London University Royal Holloway Choir, Samuel Rathbone - organ
Альбом: Carson Cooman - Sacred Choral Music, 2008
Издатель: Naxos / 8.559361
Жанр: Classical
Формат файла: EAC / FLAC / CUE / LOG
Ссылка: CD
Нахождение: Torrent

Carson Cooman (b. 1982)

Sacred Choral Music

Label: Naxos, 8.559361
Year: 2008

Performers:

Samuel Rathbone - organ

London University Royal Holloway Choir
Rupert Gough - conductor

All of the choral works on this recording were originally written in response to commissions from churches, conductors, and other performing institutions. In most cases they were written for premiere performance in specific circumstances – holidays, feast days, celebrations, anniversaries, and retirements. I am pleased that these sacred choral works have found life beyond these initial occasions and have entered the repertoire of many churches and choirs. My work as a composer has to date been divided in half between the world of concert music and the world of church music. As with many composers of the past, I do not find these to be incompatible pursuits (though many composers today tend to have interest in only one or the other), but rather I find that both worlds inform each other and provide variety to the projects I take on.
The music on this disc is organised by the liturgical year, beginning in Advent and proceeding through Christmas, Lent, Easter, Pentecost, and Trinity Sunday. Other works for Ordinary Time, Communion, Evensong, Compline, and other occasions are interspersed.

This is the third CD released by Naxos during recent months to be devoted to the music of Carson Cooman. The first (reviewed by Robert Carl in Fanfare 31:3) showcased orchestral and chamber works; the second, music for piano solo. This one is devoted Cooman’s sacred choral music, which comprises approximately half of his output. These pieces are eminently practical, and well within the grasp of amateur choristers, with whose strengths and limitations the composer is intimately familiar. All were responses to commissions, but most have been performed repeatedly. They are tonal or modal, with harmony that is largely consonant, and rhythms that are generally straightforward, though often energized by lively syncopations, while contrapuntal demands are minimal. Many of the texts are traditional and biblical, while some are taken from religious poetry, past and present. It is remarkable how rich an expressive palette is possible within such a circumscribed idiom.
This selection of Cooman’s work represents the "tip of an iceberg," as practical repertoire for church choirs constitutes a huge segment of contemporary musical composition. Although many of its leading figures are barely known to the general public, a few names-notably John Rutter and Morten Lauridsen-have pushed through and attracted broader attention. Cooman’s choral music falls into this category, although his sensibility strikes me as somewhat less obvious and more reserved than theirs. His pieces tend to exude a sense of fervent, innocent joy, reverence, and awe, always rendered with the best of taste. Emotional extremes and histrionic excesses are avoided. In fact, what I miss in this music is just that sort of excess, some indication of the composer’s having taken expressive risks, of his daring to proclaim his own individuality. But that reaction probably betrays my own aesthetic perspective, which resides largely outside the world of religious music.
The performances heard on this recording are beautifully and meticulously shaped, making the best possible impression for the music. Although an English choir is featured, with the idiosyncrasies of that musical sub-culture clearly evident, Cooman is very much an American composer, who sees himself as contributing to a national tradition. In light of the music’s somewhat limited expressive range, the generously filled CD is probably best enjoyed in smaller doses.
But, as noted earlier, sacred choral music represents only one portion of Cooman’s creative work: he has also written operas, symphonies, and other orchestral and chamber music. The musical language of much of his instrumental work is atonal and highly dissonant, often drawing freely upon serial procedures. But that hasn’t prevented it from winning acceptance: As with his choral pieces, most of his instrumental works have resulted from commissions and many have been accorded multiple performances. Cooman is a rather prolific composer; note that the pieces on this disc range from op. 161, composed in 1999, to op. 683, composed in 2006. Of course, many are quite short; after all, this release alone accounts for 18 opus numbers.
But composition itself represents only one aspect of Cooman’s musical activity. He has a voracious interest in and appetite for the music of the past 100 years, and proclaims equivalent admiration for the works of both Howard Hanson and Charles Wuorinen. He is also a professional organist, giving recitals devoted exclusively to works of the 20th and 21st centuries composed by others. Indeed, more than 120 new works have been written specifically for him to perform. He also manages and promotes the careers of other composers, edits a publication called Living Music Journal, and produces recordings that have been released by a number of different companies, including Zimbel-his own label. And I understand that he is soon to join Fanfare’s staff of critics. Did I mention that this year he reaches the age of 26?
A summary of Cooman’s activities may create the impression of intense personal ambition, as if he is something of an "operator." But his ambition does not appear to have a competitive, "zero-sum" quality; rather, his enthusiasm seems to be rather ingenuous-even self-effacing-fueled by tremendous energy and intelligence, insatiable interest, and inexhaustible musical knowledge. I look forward to following the career of this remarkable young man.

Tracklist:

01. Adam Lay Ybounden
02. In the Beginning Was the Word
03. A Cosmic Prayer
04. II. In a Lowley Manger Sleeping
05. II. In a Lowly Manger Sleeping
06. III. The Sky Can Still Remember
07. Builders For Christ
08. O Perfect Life Of Love
09. Premat Mundas
10. The Way, the Truth, the Life
11. God, You Move Among Us
12. Easter Triumph! Easter Joy!
13. I. Kyrie
14. II. Gloria
15. III. Sanctus
16. IV. Agnus Dei
17. I Will Pour Out My Spirit
18. Be Present, Holy Trinity
19. O Bone Jesu
20. Psalm 66 (Be Joyful In God)
21. The Lamp Of Charity
22. Prayer Of Julian Of Norwich
23. I. Magnificat
24. II. Nunc Dimittis

user posted image
user posted image

LOG
SPOILER!

This post has been edited by kgkk on 16-09-2008, 22:18
Please take a second to encourage releaser for all his hard work, press 'Thanks' button
The following members said 'Спасибо!': uuubjuuu
PM
Top Bottom
Topic Options