Tierney Sutton - Blue in Green (2001), Vocal Jazz - EAC+APE - Telarc Jazz
 Posted: 23-03-2005, 12:14 (post 1, #400180)

Group: Members
Warn:0%-----

Артист: Tierney Sutton
Альбом: Blue in Green, 2001
Жанр: Vocal Jazz
Формат файла: EAC+APE
Ссылка: CD 17 clicks
Нахождение: eDonkey

tracklist:
1. Just Squeeze Me (But Don't Tease Me)
2. Blue in Green
3. Autumn Leaves
4. Turn Out the Stars
5. Never Let Me Go
6. Sometime Ago
7. Very Early
8. You and the Night and the Music
9. Detour Ahead
10. Someday My Prince Will Come
11. Just You, Just Me
12. Waltz For Debby / Tiffany
13. We Will Meet Again
14. Old Devil Moon

Label:Telarc Jazz
Covers:Digipack plus autographed inlay.
Size:312.55 MB

Notes:I saw Tierney Sutton 3 years ago at Cascais Jazz Festival.Before that show,she gave a showcase just for 30 persons at the FNAC in Estoril.
During the flight to Lisbon the flight company had lost the lugage, so the drummer had to play just with the brushes,because he hadn´t drum sticks,but that didn´t stoped the 7 or 8 songs that she sung to be wonderfull.I talked to her before the show begins and she signed the cd i had in hands.She is just a beautiful woman and a nice person.I was very glad to met her.Hope she will came to Portugal another time soon.If you have the chance to see a live show,please don´t miss it.She is great. :handup: :clap:

Sophomore slump? Not for Tierney Sutton. After a memorable debut in Unsung Heroes, the willowy singer of elegant purr and urgent phrasing focuses on an even more intensely personal project--singing a well-paced set of 14 songs, all but one written by or associated with legendary pianist Bill Evans. Tierney maneuvers her hand-in-glove trio (no guest horns) through Evans's ineffable book, and comes up with a date that's perfectly relaxed and fitting. She sidles through quiet moments and breezy bits, engineers tempo shifts, applies gentle gestures, and edgily improvises. Instrumentals like "Very Early" and "We Will Meet Again" earn fresh lyrics from Sutton and others, yet Tierney manages to evoke Evans's disquieting genius at each turn of phrase, as pianist Christian Jacob, himself cut of Evans-esque velvet, counters with arching, heartfelt lines, sometimes eerily evocative of the master. Each tune sets a unique internal pulse, a rhythmic point-of-view that invests the arrangement with individuality--fleet dotted-eighths on "Autumn Leaves," a tentative ostinato on Miles Davis's "Blue in Green," a slinking "You and the Night and the Music"--all obliquely recalling Evans own inimitable, unmistakable phrasing. Knowing touches include inviting in Evans's last drummer, Joe LaBarbera, to airbrush "Waltz for Debby/Tiffany," overdubbing harmony and adding a bass on "Sometime Ago," and daring to air back-to-back ballads, as Evans often did. As tributes go, she's mined pure gold. --Fred Bouchard

I love vocal jazz and I have a remarkable collection of cd, including female vocal jazz. Besides the classic Billie, Sarah, Ella, Dinah, Carmen,Betty, the new classic Dianne Reeves, Cassandra Wilson, Diane Schuur,Dee Dee Bridgewater, which I all hugely love for different reasons I am constantly looking ahead and checking for the new ladies coming on the scene. I know that trying to find the best of the bunch it's a hard and extremely task and definitely a question of subjective taste. But when it comes to Tierney Sutton, I just cannot stay quiet and I have to point out her superiority.
I think Karrin Allyson is a shining diamond in terms of style and taste, Diana Krall (although overrated) is a great piano player and an intriguing singer, I'm perfectly aware of the emotion that comes from Rene Marie's phrasing, I recognize that Carla Cook has a superb soul and a great technique, just as Laverne Butler's.
All this said, Mrs Sutton is above all them, on my opinion: her pitch, her aim a a note are simply flawless, although her great technical skills don't affect at all the emotional side of her singing. She's always there, she knows what she's doing, she's full of surprises and at he same time is so reassuring: you know that no matter the key she has picked for a particular song she'll deliver it with force, grace, taste. In other words, I'm in love with Tierney's art. This particular album inspired by Bill Evans music (but just pick one of the three she has released, they're all great) is full of poetry: my personal fav is her short, deep rendition of "Turn off the stars". "Just squeeze me" is brilliantly performed and sung with a natural approach that makes you sway with pleasure, "Detour ahead" is a widely-won challenge (so many great singers have covered this beautiful song, but Tierney manages surprisingly to make it fresh again); the worth conclusion of this beautiful cd is a fabolous cover of the immortal "Old Devil Moon" : a tour de force of perfect singing, a "tourbillon" of passion, love, happiness....  Do yourself a favour: don't miss this great artist: Billie, Ella, Sarah and others would definitely nod in approvation from above!

As i said before,i am releasing a serie of vocal jazz singers.Next post probably will be the last,because i will change to other subject.Meanwhile, i will release all this 5 and like i said before, it gonna take time to spread all this stuff.After that i will not post anything else until this serie i donne ,be largely spread.Enjoy the music and the great singers.

PM Email Poster Users Website MSN
Top Bottom
Topic Options