Glyder [2007] Playground For Life, Irish Hard Rock - EAC/APE/Cue/Log/Covers/rar
 Posted: 02-08-2008, 11:29 (post 1, #849923)

Group: Members
Warn:0%-----
Glyder - Playground For Life
Артист: Glyder
Альбом: Playground For Life, 2007
Издатель: Bad Reputation / BAD071001
Жанр: Hard Rock
Формат файла: EAC/APE/Cue/Log/Covers
Ссылка: CD 40 clicks
Нахождение: eDonkey/Kademlia
Origin : Ireland
MySpace : http://myspace.com/glyder

Line Up
Tony Cullen : Vocals, Bass
Pete Fisher : Guitars
Bat Kinane : Guitars
Davy Ryan : Drums

Tracklist
01. Gambler's Blues
02. Sweets
03. Puppet Queen
04. Playground For Life
05. For Your Skin
06. Walking My Own Ground
07. Dark Meets Light
08. Sleeping Gun
09. Over & Over
10. The Merrygoround

Review :
So here comes a review of this the sophomore effort of the excellent irish rock troupe GLYDER !
You play at vibe for philo - were Phil’s own mum heaps praise on you-.
You manage to lure Chris Tsangarides out of retirement or semiretirement? ...to produce your debut album - a hard rock classic - that in years to come will be up there with in rock - rising and so many others-
You manage to open for an established band like THUNDER - on the strength of your fans - that put in requests to get you that cavorted support slot through their mobiles - even though your immediate fanbase’s mobiles are not valid !!!
You’re the heir and keeper of Phil and Rory’s legacy ! One more reason for someone to notice the beautiful emerald island - beside the Corr sisters haha !!! You must be GLYDER !

The album :
"Gambler’s Blues" kicks the album with a fine intro, that sends chills down the spine - and a solid rockin rhythm. It’s subject matter - is easy to guess - a gambler’s lifetime - ups n downs - the excitement - the cold sweat - the blues ... haha..
"Sweets" is a rumbling piece, about the whole Amsterdam "phycho-pleasure" scene... I guess "Sweets" refers to the "highs" the "lows" n the "in betweens" one can experience in the uninhibited canal city. Smoking solo as well that finishes the song, very Rhandy Rhoads like .
"Puppet Queen" is cut from the same cloth that "PrettyUselessPeople" was, poking fun at the celebrity ?? culture ! S-punky and rocky it really is spot on... it has a crazy sound like the CLASH meets HMK or something along these lines... pretty darn good !
"Playground for Life" the albums centerpiece and namesake, is a haunting and beautifully dark about life being your playground - and how ultimately - while you’re told what to do and get pushed into doing stuff you don’t want to, you should ultimately decide about what you want to do, follow your own path - find your own playground... so to speak... I love the lyric - I find it really poetic and I do love the music so I have no second thoughts to dub it a classic !
"For your skin" is a love song - very similar to early THIN LIZZY stuff. Really passionate...nothing more to say... it’s pure effing poetry man !
"Walking my own ground" - with it’s very uplifting theme - is a sort of paean to the man who lives life as it comes - who lives life as a free man ... Rory meets Lizzy in a very up-beat way...fan-friggin-tastic !
"Dark Meets Light" is a very funny one... lyrically it has a bitter edge - a little bit like metallica, and while the subject matter ain’t exactly clear it’s about hardship. Musically - it’s very much like metallica here and there, but unlike them as well...
"Sleeping Gun" - was on the Hollywood EP - here it’s presented in a re-worked form, sounds a little like the Police or Sting...the lyric must be about the school killings in America, great solo too, very UFO like... "Over and Over" is very contemporary ... and punkish - with some crazy adlibs towards the end... not too sure again - but I think it could be about a young drug addict ? young female drug addict that gets forced ? maybe? Really dark song...
"The Merrygoround" ...ah... it’s a non glyder - song of protest...to begin with - it sounds a loooot like pink Floyd... well as much as Glyder could sound like Pink Floyd ... that’ is not too much - but they manage to create a similar atmosphere ... it primarily deals with clerical child abuse in Ireland and how the church dealt with it ... brushing it under a carpet... just as it happened months ago over here in Greece, with 86 year old priests raping 6 year olds, in the presence of their mothers - while the TRUE BELIEVERS - were protesting about their clergymen’s innocence !

I hope those people inherit paradise ....because they truly.... deserve it ...Liberty ...
The freedom to be a slave to the whim of those who whimsically abuse power...
Fat politicians that steal bonds, empty coffers, exchange maschochist sexual favors for steady jobs, doesn’t it sound too close to home???
THEY WILL ONLY SEE WHAT THEY WANT TO SEE ... IN THE NAME OF LIBERTY...
Well that about concludes the songs... Tsangarides once again has done an excellent job, forging a sound that is contemporary but also true to it’s rock roots.... The very marillionesque cover (comment : to quote a "serious" fellow rock journalist - who the f$#k are marillion...? Whoa !!! interesting quote partner ....you should reconsider calling yourself a SERIOUS rock journo) was done by Mark Wilkinson - known by his artistical contributions to covers by bands and artists such as IRON MAIDEN, JUDAS PRIEST, FISH and that #%$%$% bunch MARILLION.....
Ehm ... if I haven’t convinced you by this point that this record is the best thing since sliced bread... nothing will....... it’s a litttlllle worse than their absolutely stellar debut, so that means its FRIGGIN EXCELLENT ! GO BUY IT NOW !

SPOILER (LogFile)

:hi:
Please take a second to encourage releaser for all his hard work, press 'Thanks' button
The following members said 'Спасибо!': Гордый, Keykey, the_gift, alglebych, BioS, LinkoManija, elsz, LF_
PM Email Poster MSN
Top Bottom
 Posted: 03-08-2008, 19:26 (post 2, #850037)

Junior

Group: Members
Warn:0%-----
Thanks a lot
Last night I gave a spin to Pretty Useless People
Amazing group !!!!!!!!!!!
PM Email Poster
Top Bottom
Topic Options