The Doors, Live at the Aquarius Theatre
 Posted: 06-05-2006, 23:04 (post 1, #597228)

Group: Members
Warn:0%-----
The Doors - Live at the Aquarius Theatre
Артист: The Doors
Альбом: Live at the Aquarius Theatre, 1969
Жанр: Rock
Формат файла: EAC-Cue-Flac-Scans
Ссылка 1: CD 1 8 clicks
Ссылка 2: CD 2 8 clicks
Нахождение: eDonkey/Kademlia
Biography by William Ruhlmann & Richie Unterberger
The Doors, one of the most influential and controversial rock bands of the 1960s, were formed in Los Angeles in 1965 by UCLA film students Ray Manzarek, keyboards, and Jim Morrison, vocals; with drummer John Densmore and guitarist Robby Krieger. The group never added a bass player, and their sound was dominated by Manzarek's electric organ work and Morrison's deep, sonorous voice, with which he sang and intoned his highly poetic lyrics. The group signed to Elektra Records in 1966 and released its first album, The Doors, featuring the hit "Light My Fire," in 1967.

Like "Light My Fire," the debut album was a massive hit, and endures as one of the most exciting, groundbreaking recordings of the psychedelic era. Blending blues, classical, Eastern music, and pop into sinister but beguiling melodies, the band sounded like no other. With his rich, chilling vocals and somber poetic visions, Morrison explored the depths of the darkest and most thrilling aspects of the psychedelic experience. Their first effort was so stellar, in fact, that the Doors were hard-pressed to match it, and although their next few albums contained a wealth of first-rate material, the group also began running up against the limitations of their recklessly disturbing visions. By their third album, they had exhausted their initial reservoir of compositions, and some of the tracks they hurriedly devised to meet public demand were clearly inferior to, and imitative of, their best early work.

On The Soft Parade, the group experimented with brass sections, with mixed results. Accused (without much merit) by much of the rock underground as pop sellouts, the group charged back hard with the final two albums they recorded with Morrison, on which they drew upon stone-cold blues for much of their inspiration, especially on 1971's L.A. Woman.

From the start, the Doors' focus was the charismatic Morrison, who proved increasingly unstable over the group's brief career. In 1969, Morrison was arrested for indecent exposure during a concert in Miami, an incident that nearly derailed the band. Nevertheless, the Doors managed to turn out a series of successful albums and singles through 1971, when, upon the completion of L.A. Woman, Morrison decamped for Paris. He died there, apparently of a drug overdose. The three surviving Doors tried to carry on without him, but ultimately disbanded. Yet the Doors' music and Morrison's legend continued to fascinate succeeding generations of rock fans: In the mid-'80s, Morrison was as big a star as he'd been in the mid-'60s, and Elektra has sold numerous quantities of the Doors' original albums plus reissues and releases of live material over the years, while publishers have flooded bookstores with Doors and Morrison biographies. In 1991, director Oliver Stone made The Doors, a feature film about the group starring Val Kilmer as Morrison.

user posted image
Live at the Aquarius Theatre: The First Performance [EXPLICIT LYRICS] [LIVE]
The Doors

Release Date May 11, 2004
Recording Date Jul 21, 1969
Label Bright Midnight

Review by Lindsay Planer
From the Doors' own Bright Midnight Records comes this double-disc package featuring the first of two sets performed on July 21, 1969, at the Aquarius Theater in Hollywood. The evening was billed as " Elektra Records Showcase Concert Series Presents..." and, as lead vocalist Jim Morrison announces at the outset, these homecoming performances were done for the express purpose of gathering material for a live album. Indeed, this was only the fifth concert appearance that the Doors had been able to secure in the wake of what is referred to as "the Miami incident." While at times pensive, the band members ultimately rise to the occasion as they wind through a set of hits and fan favorites, as well as a few compositions that would have been previously unheard by this audience. The set begins with little fanfare and the virtual absence of any response from the crowd is nothing short of eerie. The shamanistic wails that normally accompany "Back Door Man" are conspicuously absent. Instead, however, Morrison exhibits a more subdued power, which is equally hypnotic. The loose - at times ambling - pace between many of the songs allows for unique interactions between the band and attendees. The spur-of-the-moment decision to perform "Soul Kitchen" results in a palpable shift in the band's energies - as if a cathartic weight had been lifted. From this point, the Doors take the initiative to integrate several works in progress. Among them are the blues-laden "I Will Never Be Untrue" and "Build Me a Woman" - indicating the direction that their final two albums, Morrison Hotel and L.A. Woman, would proceed in. Their loose and seemingly improvised nature contrasts well with the rhythmic precision of "Universal Mind," whose instrumental section is derived from Mongo Santamaria's "Afro Blue." Ultimately, only the incendiary "Celebration of the Lizard" from this performance would be issued on Absolutely Live. In addition to the two discs, Live at the Aquarius Theater: The First Performance includes a 16-page foldout booklet, including notes from all three surviving band members. Bright Midnight releases are not available in stores. For more information refer to: www.thedoors.com.

Disc: 1

1. Tuning
2. Jim's Introduction
3. Back Door Man
4. Break On Through (To The Other Side)
5. What Do We Do Next?
6. Soul Kitchen
7. You Make Me Real
8. Tuning
9. I Will Never Be Untrue
10. The Crowd Humbly Requests
11. When The Music's Over
12. Universal Mind
13. The Crowd Requests Their Favorites And Tuning
14. Mystery Train/Crossroads
15. Build Me A Woman
Disc: 2

1. Tuning
2. Who Do You Love (False Start)
3. Who Do You Love
4. Light My Fire
5. The Crowd Requests More
6. The Celebration Of The Lizard

user posted image
Live at the Aquarius Theatre: The Second Performance [EXPLICIT LYRICS] [LIVE]
The Doors

Release Date May 11, 2004
Recording Date Jul 21, 1969
Label Bright Midnight

Review by Lindsay Planer
As the title suggests, this set contains the second of two complete shows from the Doors at the Aquarius Theater in Hollywood, July 21, 1969. Both were professionally documented, anticipating enough material for a stopgap concert album as the band simultaneously composed and arranged new sides for their subsequent Morrison Hotel and LA Woman studio releases. With over three decades under the bridge and the blessings of the surviving bandmembers, Live at the Aquarius Theater: The Second Performance provides a real-time recreation of the entire two-and-a-quarter-hour performance from the sonically superior multi-track tapes. Initially the interaction between the band and audience borders on ennui, while a seemingly unfazed John Densmore (drums), Robbie Krieger (guitar), Ray Manzerek (keyboards/bass pedals/vocals), and Jim Morrison (vocals) musically ascend to their outlandish pre-Miami selves. Stylistically, however, their music is pointing away from the LSD-tinged antics that informed much of their initial sound and vision. In its stead is an influx of blues- and R&B-influenced covers such as the extended workout of Van Morrison's "Gloria," Willie Dixon's "Little Red Rooster," "Rock Me Baby," and "Close to You." This should in no way insinuate that the band had altogether forsaken their psychedelic roots, as the renderings of "Break on Through (To the Other Side)" as well as a profound and intense "Celebration of the Lizard" are perfect vehicles for the sonic mind games that became synonymous with the Doors. Likewise, the band unveils several unique renderings to sides from the forthcoming Morrison Hotel. "You Make Me Real" sticks fairly close its studio counterpart, unlike the incendiary instrumental reading of "Peace Frog," which is linked to a crystalline "Blue Sunday." This is the Doors performing at the peak of their ability and is the way they deserve to be remembered. In an ultimately successful attempt to aurally re-create the relaxed and informal pacing of the show, all between-song chatter as well as some lengthy banter between the audience and band occurs organically. Keen-eared enthusiasts will recognize the inimitable and likewise sonorous voice of lighting director Chip Monk during the spoken-word "A Request of the Management." Monk is best placed via his intermittent stage announcements at the Woodstock Music and Art Fair. In addition to the two discs, Live at the Aquarius Theater: The Second Performance includes a 16-page foldout booklet with notes from all three surviving bandmembers. As titles on the Doors-owned Bright Midnight record label are not available via most traditional CD outlets, enthusiasts are encouraged to direct their attentions to the additional information available at the band's website: www:thedoors.com.

Disc: 1

1. Concert Introduction And Tuning
2. Jim's Introduction
3. Back Door Man
4. Break On Through (To The Other Side)
5. When The Music's Over
6. Tuning
7. You Make Me Real
8. Tuning
9. Universal Mind
10. The Crowd Humbly Requests
11. Mystery Train/Crossroads
12. The Crowd Again Requests
13. Little Red Rooster
14. Tuning
15. Gloria
16. Tuning
17. Touch Me
18. The Crystal Ship
Disc: 2

1. Tuning
2. Light My Fire
3. The Crowd Requests Their Favorites
4. The Celebration Of The Lizard
5. A Request Of The Management
6. Soul Kitchen
7. Jim Introduces Ray
8. Close To You
9. A Conversation With The Crowd
10. Peace Frog (Instrumental)
11. Blue Sunday
12. Five To One
13. The Crowd Again Requests Their Favorites
14. Jim Introduces The Movie
15. Rock Me Baby

PM Email Poster
Top Bottom
 Posted: 07-05-2006, 09:27 (post 2, #597361)

Пират

Group: Prestige
Thanks! :punk:
PM
Top Bottom
 Posted: 08-05-2006, 00:04 (post 3, #597803)

Advanced

Thank you! :)
PM Email Poster ICQ
Top Bottom
 Posted: 10-05-2006, 23:28 (post 4, #599262)

риполов-любитель

Group: News makers
PM Email Poster
Top Bottom
 Posted: 13-05-2006, 00:19 (post 5, #600137)

The Ace of Spades

Thank you! :punk: :hi:
PM Email Poster
Top Bottom
 Posted: 16-05-2006, 01:18 (post 6, #601494)

Junior

спасибо
PM Email Poster
Top Bottom
Topic Options