Edward Box -2oo2- Plectrumhead, eac wavpack - Instrumental Hard Rock
 Posted: 08-03-2007, 19:00 (post 1, #722802)

Pro Member

Group: Members
Warn:0%-----
Edward Box - Plectrumhead
Артист: Edward Box
Альбом: Plectrumhead, 2002
Жанр: Instrumental Hard Rock
Формат файла: EAC Wavpack
Ссылка: CD 7 clicks
Нахождение: eDonkey/Kademlia
Satriani's clone.

TRACKLISTING:

1> Plectrum Head
2> Closer
3> Blue Skies Above
4> Stratosphere
5> 130r
6> Frequencies
7> Reflections
8> Five Knuckle Shuffle
9> Assegai
10> So Glad
11> Requiem
12> Bone Cutter

After a short spell with his second band (Arch Stanton) had prematurely ended due to poor management, Edward Box decided to pursue a solo career. Plectrumhead is his first solo album. The CD is of course completely instrumental and Joe Satriani’s influence (mainly his older work such as "Surfing With The Alien") is strongly present.

The production of the album is excellent, as well as Edward’s guitar work. However, the resemblance with Satriani is too obvious and therefore slightly disturbing. Songs like "Blue Skies Above", "130R" and "Stratosphere" have the name Satriani written all over them.

Granted, Edward’s music is slightly more metal-orientated, but the melodies are very similar to Satriani’s. The aforementioned track "130R" sounds exactly like "Surfing With The Alien" and can only be called a variation of this classic.

Plectrumhead is a decent enough album that might lack originality, but contains plenty of excellent melodies and strong song structures. Edward has managed to keep the songs compact and has kept the experimentation level to a minimum (there’s the freaky "frequencies" but that’s about it), making this album a very pleasant listening experience.

I've never heard of this guy despite the mention of his 2 bands XLR8R and Arch Stanton. This guy mentions of early influences and turn-ons musically of Judas Priest and Van Halen with guitar influences of Schenker, Lynch, DeMartini, Vai, "Satch" and Yngwie; this all propelled him to play as well as to take music study before his band days actually evolved.

"Plectrum Head" is one hell of a CD and I see it already making my final poll at the end of the year; it's that damn good! I've had some great CD's these last few months like the new Moore and MacAlpine and the Masi reissues as well as indie artists Wentworth, Schuster, Merry and many, many more; too many to mention! 12 tracks on this CD and one of those that are more heavy than eclectic or harmonious with "ballads". It's definitely not one-sided but at least the majority of it will slap you upside the head with a heavy riff or some jaw-dropping solo of some sort.

One of my fave songs on here is "Stratosphere" as it's so catchy like Wentworth's "Flyin' Down 94" or Tommy Merry's "Andromeda II"..still sticks in my head! The overall CD you'll hear alot of the influences mentioned but "Satch" and Vai are the most influential but the guitar "punch and crunch" are reminiscent of Wentworth, old Friedman and Vinnie Moore. The only song I question for the "redundant riff" is "Five Knuckle Shuffle"; the riff is close to 2 songs I already know; "Up All Night" by Slaughter and Saraya's "When You See Me Again"..oh well, 1 bad thing won't spoil this CD trust me! (well maybe 2 since "Bone Cutter" has a STP "Vaseline"-type riff to it). Regardless, I love this CD and we need more of these heavier releases to wake people up..I have had too many snoozers this year (some did not even make the review section..they are being used as coasters). Any fan of guitar music or a guitar player in general will definitely dig this "Box" of treats.

EAC extraction logfile from 7. March 2007, 23:16 for CD
Edward Box / Plectrumhead

Used drive : PLEXTOR DVDR PX-755A Adapter: 0 ID: 1
Read mode : Secure with NO C2, accurate stream, disable cache
Read offset correction : 30
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : Yes

Used output format : C:\Archivos de programa\Exact Audio Copy\wavpack.exe (User Defined Encoder)
128 kBit/s
Additional command line options : -hm -w "Cuesheet=@*.cue" -w "Artist=%a" -w "Album=%g" -w "Year=%y" -w "Genre=%m" %s %d

Other options :
Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : No
Installed external ASPI interface

Range status and errors
Selected range
Filename C:\RIPEOS EAC\Edward Box - Plectrumhead.wav.wav

Peak level 100.0 %
Range quality 100.0 %
CRC 58B21A29
Copy OK

No errors occured

End of status report

Keykey está oyendo---> Dogpound - Going Down in Flames "The Hellbum"

:hi:

This post has been edited by OlCh on 08-03-2007, 19:06
Please take a second to encourage releaser for all his hard work, press 'Thanks' button
The following members said 'Спасибо!': OlCh, LF_, Laps, taurus66, thenoo, Alexan
PM Email Poster
Top Bottom
 Posted: 19-03-2007, 23:50 (post 2, #727334)

Hand of Doom
Group: Roots
Group: Roots
Wow, excellent guitar work! Did not expect it to be that good! :punk:
PM
Top Bottom
 Posted: 20-03-2007, 00:07 (post 3, #727346)

Pro Member

QUOTE (LF_ @ 19-03-2007, 21:50)
:)
PM Email Poster
Top Bottom
 Posted: 20-03-2007, 00:15 (post 4, #727350)

риполов-любитель

Group: News makers
QUOTE (LF_ @ 19-03-2007, 21:50)
ех, а я забыл... давно послушал - альбом отличный! :clap:

thanks Keykey :freu:
PM Email Poster
Top Bottom
 Posted: 26-03-2007, 23:06 (post 5, #729805)

Junior

QUOTE (Keykey @ 08-03-2007, 16:00)
Satriani's clone.
:w00t:
why not !

PM Email Poster
Top Bottom
 Posted: 26-03-2007, 23:43 (post 6, #729818)

Pro Member

Now I feel a bit of remorse for calling him a Satriani's clone.

No doubt he sounds some times like Satriani, still he has got his own personality and there is no doubt he has a brilliant technique and plays the guitar extremely well.

Strange he just recorded one disc and disappeared from the Earth...

Keykey está oyendo---> Annihilator - Downright Dominate "Metal"

PM Email Poster
Top Bottom
Topic Options